If you knew that some fruits and vegetables could help prevent heart disease or even cancer would you try to put them into your diet more? Well there are lots out there that are able to benefit you in some way! I read a couple of articles about the benefits of eating blueberries and different fruits and thought it was sort of interesting, because I personally never knew it could do so much for your health!
Five health benefits of eating blueberries
1. Blueberries are a source of the antioxidant ellagic acid, which may block metabolic pathways that can lead to cancer.
2. Blueberry skins contain resveratrol, which research associates with anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory and blood sugar-lowering properties.
3. Blueberries are an excellent source of vitamins C and E, as well as fibre.
4. They are low in calories, with only 81 calories per cup!
5. Blueberries are good for your heart – several studies have associated blueberry consumption with improved blood-fat balances, reduced cholesterol, increased HDL cholesterol and reduced trigylcerides.
5 reasons to eat more strawberries:
1. They may reduce the risk of degenerative disease:Strawberries are an amazing source of folate (the folic acid found in food). Inadequate amounts of folate in the aging population can contribute to atherosclerosis, vascular disease and even a decline in cognitive function. Medications used for conditions like rheumatoid arthritis can actually deplete folic acid in the body, so stock up on strawberries to replenish!
2. They could reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease: Strawberries could have the unique ablility to suppress the inflammatory responses of the body and reduce our risk of hypertension by lowering LDL cholesterol.
3. Use strawberries to stop stressing: Strawberries contain over 100 percent of our daily recommended allowance of vitamin C in just one cup. Recent studies show that when vitamin C is consumed during times of stress, it actually has the ability to decrease our blood pressure back down to a normal level, preventing the development of hypertension — especially in kids!
4. Prevent bone loss with strawberries: Strawberries are high in potassium, and high-potassium diets have been shown to reduce bone loss by preserving calcium stores and preventing the breakdown of bone that comes with age.
5. They’re high in antioxidants: Strawberries contain anthrocyanin, which is a powerful antioxidant that protects us from the damaging effects of our environment, especially the sun. The antioxidant power of the anthrocyanins found in strawberries lasts up to 24 hours after consumption; this makes them a great defence against free radical damage.
Five reasons to eat more raspberries:
1)Raspberries are high in ellagic acid, a phenolic compound that may help prevent cancer, inhibit the growth of cancer cells and stop the growth of some cancers.
2) Raspberries seed oil has a natural sun protection factor. It contains high amounts of polyphenolic compounds known for their anti-cancer properties.
3) They contains strong antioxidants such as Vitamin C, quercetin and gallic acid.
4) Raspberries are packed with fiber and manganese. Fiber helps slow the digestive process so you feel fuller longer. Manganese is a mineral that helps keep your metabolic rate high, which burns fat.
5) They can help protect against loss of vision!